Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
The following is a list of answers to the most frequently asked questions about the services provided in our venues and on our premises, about the box office, and about general information regarding Place des Arts.
- CAN I GET A GUIDED TOUR OF PLACE DES ARTS AND THE MAISON SYMPHONIQUE?
Currently, we do not offer guided tours.
- ARE THERE RESTAURANTS AT PLACE DES ARTS?
Before or after your show, enjoy the restaurants located within or just steps from Place des Arts. Wine bars, bistros, cafés, delis and ready-to-eat spots: plenty of options for every pocketbook! Learn more.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS HAVE A BOUTIQUE?
If you’d like to find an original gift, or if you’re a lover of music, literature, art books or jewelry, Place des Arts offers several top-notch boutiques that will please the most discerning shopper.
As well, at the box office or online, you can purchase gift certificates... the perfect gift for any occasion! Place des Arts gift certificates can be used toward show tickets, and are available in a range of denominations for every budget: $10, $25, $50, $75 and $100.
- HOW TO PURCHASE AND USE PDA GIFT CERTIFICATES
Gift certificates redeemable for tickets to shows presented at Place des Arts are available via the Place des Arts website or by telephone at 514-842-2112 / 1-866-842-2112, as well as at the box office, located at 175 St. Catherine Street West. Gift certificates do not have an expiry date and can be redeemed in person, at the box office counter or through our partners.
To use them, you must complete your ticket purchase online or by telephone and then, bring your gift certificates with you on the evening of your show to obtain your refund at the box office. You also need to bring the credit card used to purchase your tickets, as well as a valid form of identification. When exchanging your certificate, if the amount of your ticket purchase is less than your gift certificate total, the remaining amount will be returned to you in the form of Place des Arts gift certificates.
At the box office counter, Place des Arts also accepts gift certificates from the following partners: Duceppe, Les Grands Ballets, Opéra de Montréal, Orchestre Métropolitain, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, and Festival de Lanaudière. Certain restrictions may apply.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS PROVIDE PARKING?
Yes, Place des Arts has an indoor parking lot. The entrance is located at 1450 rue Saint-Urbain, Montréal, Québec, H2X 2M5. If you purchase your parking pass ahead of time, you can get a preferred rate and a guaranteed spot on the night of your show (limited quantity). Learn more
- ARE THERE BATHROOMS AT ESPACE CULTUREL GEORGES-ÉMILE-LAPALME?
Bathrooms are available to ticket-holders within the show venues starting when doors open, meaning 45 minutes before show time.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS PROVIDE A COAT CHECK SERVICE?
Coat check service is provided from October 1 to April 30 in Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, Théâtre Maisonneuve, Maison symphonique and Théâtre Jean-Duceppe. A self-serve cloakroom is available in Salle Claude-Léveillée and upon the producer’s request at Cinquième Salle.
- ARE THERE BARS IN PLACE DES ARTS’ VENUES?
Before show time and at intermission, the bars located in the venue foyers offer a choice of drinks and snacks. Cash and credit cards accepted. These spaces are accessible to ticket holders 45 minutes before show time. Depending on the type of show and the producer’s agreement, Place des Arts may authorize the consumption of various beverages during the show.
- CAN I FILM OR TAKE PHOTOS DURING MY SHOW?
The use of cameras and other electronic devices is strictly prohibited during shows.
- WHAT IS PLACE DES ARTS’ POLICY ON LATECOMERS?
Out of respect for both the performers and the audience, latecomers and those who leave the hall during a performance will be redirected to the closest available seats at an opportune moment during the performance. Latecomers’ tickets cannot be exchanged or reimbursed.
- WHAT IS THE POLICY ON YOUNG CHILDREN AND INFANTS ATTENDING SHOWS AT PLACE DES ARTS?
All spectators, including infants (even if they are not occupying a seat) and children of any age, must be in possession of a ticket in order to attend a show. Children under the age of two who remain seated on the lap of an accompanying adult are admitted free of charge to any show presented at Place des Arts, unless the show’s producer decides otherwise. These children must nevertheless at all times be in possession of a ticket, available only at the Place des Arts box office. These tickets do not have seat numbers printed on them. It is also important to have a piece of identification for the child, in order to prove, if required, that the child is under the age of two.
- WHAT SPECIAL SECURITY PROCEDURES ARE IN FORCE WHEN ENTERING THE SHOW VENUES?
Special measures, such as bag searches or the use of a metal detector, may be put into place at the request of the producer or artist, or based on circumstances; our security measures are constantly being adjusted. When such measures are planned, Place des Arts or the producer makes sure to advise the clientele for the show as best they can, in particular by sending a pre-show email so that attendees can plan their visits with this in mind.
- HOW CAN I SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE OF PROGRAMMING PRESENTED AT PLACE DES ARTS?
Place des Arts sends out a newsletter that lists upcoming shows and activities. You can sign up to hear about all of our programming on a regular basis and stay informed about presales and exclusive offers. Sign up to receive our newsletter.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS PROVIDE SERVICES FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE HEARING-IMPAIRED?
All of Place des Arts’ venues are equipped with an audio system that allows hearing-impaired people to tune into the show’s signal. Visit our Adapted Services section.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS PROVIDE SERVICES FOR PEOPLE WITH REDUCED MOBILITY?
Place des Arts is accessible to people with reduced mobility and makes it as easy as possible for you to get around within the venue. Wheelchairs are also available, as is reserved seating for wheelchairs in the performance halls. During show time, a customer service representative is available to assist people with reduced mobility. Please see our Adapted Services section.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS PROVIDE ADAPTED SEATS FOR PEOPLE OF LARGER SIZES?
People of larger sizes can be seated more comfortably by reserving an adapted seat. All our show venues are equipped with them, and you can reserve one through the Place des Arts box office, by telephone or at the wicket only; it is not possible to reserve this type of seat online. You can also make a request when you arrive at the venue the day of the show, though availability is not guaranteed. Please note that we have a limited number of these seats.
- DOES PLACE DES ARTS PROVIDE BOOSTER SEATS FOR CHILDREN?
Yes, booster seats are available for children at Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier and Théâtre Maisonneuve. Just ask a member of our staff.
GENERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT PLACE DES ARTS
- WHEN WAS PLACE DES ARTS INAUGURATED?
Place des Arts was inaugurated on September 21, 1963 with a concert by the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, led by two eminent conductors—Wilfrid Pelletier and Zubin Mehta—in the Grande Salle, which was renamed Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier in 1966. To learn more, click here.
- WHAT IS THE MISSION OF THE SOCIÉTÉ DE LA PLACE DES ARTS DE MONTRÉAL?
The mission of the Société de la Place des Arts de Montréal is to operate a performing arts production company, to manage Place des Arts de Montréal and the Amphithéâtre Fernand-Lindsay in Joliette, and to set up artistic programming in the Maison symphonique for organizations other than the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal. These activities have the particular aim of providing a place of residence to major artistic organizations, to provide access to various forms of the performing arts, and to promote the arts and culture in Québec. We produce, co-produce and host artistic works from here and elsewhere by showcasing up-and-coming artists as well as international stars in collaboration with artistic organizations, producers, creators and the entire cultural milieu.
- WHO MANAGES PLACE DES ARTS?
The Société de la Place des Arts de Montréal is a provincial crown corporation reporting to the Minister of Culture and Communications, Mr. Luc Fortin. The Société is administered by a board of directors chaired by Jean Laurin, President and CEO of Investissements Devencore inc. The government appoints board members on the recommendation of the Minister of Culture and Communications, after consultations with representative organizations in the cultural milieu. The board of directors meets at least five times per year. The President and Chief Executive Officer of Place des Arts, Marc Blondeau, also sits on the Société’s board of directors; he is supported in his daily duties by a team of six directors.
- WHY IS PLACE DES ARTS REFERRED TO AS THE LARGEST CULTURAL COMPLEX IN THE COUNTRY?
As the largest performing arts venue in Canada, Place des Arts welcomes over 900,000 spectators and hosts more than 1,000 performances every year. From large-scale shows to more intimate performances, Place des Arts offers an extraordinarily varied range of programming. It is also home to such major arts organizations as the Opéra de Montréal, Les Grands Ballets canadiens and Duceppe. Place des Arts boasts a large public space, the Espace culturel Georges-Émile-Lapalme, as well as six performance halls, including the Maison symphonique, which is home to the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal. Located in the heart of the Quartier des spectacles, the Place des Arts plaza also features rehearsal halls, a costume workshop, restaurants, shops, and the Musée d’art contemporain. In summer, it plays host to major events, including Les FrancoFolies, the Festival de Jazz, and Just for Laughs.
- WHERE CAN I READ A COPY OF PLACE DES ARTS’ ANNUAL REPORT?
Every year, Place des Arts produces an annual report and posts it on the Place des Arts website.
- HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE FONDATION DE LA PLACE DES ARTS?
The mission of the Fondation de la Place des Arts is to support the cultural mission of Place des Arts by contributing to artistic projects and activities that promote access to the arts, audience development and increased awareness of the various performing arts. To learn more about the Fondation and find out how to make a donation, click here.
BOX OFFICE (QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETS)
- WHAT IS PLACE DES ARTS’ POLICY REGARDING TICKET CANCELLATIONS AND EXCHANGES?
Customers must carefully review the name of the show, the date, and the ticket category BEFORE proceeding with a purchase. Once an order has been processed, there can be NO REFUNDS, EXCHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS. In exceptional circumstances, if tickets must be exchanged, the Place des Arts Box Office will issue new tickets and service fees as detailed here will apply. In the case of subscription tickets, an exchange fee of $3.75 per ticket applies.
- WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I LOSE OR FORGET MY TICKETS?
In the event a ticket is lost or forgotten, the box office—after validating your information—can issue a duplicate ticket.
- WHAT ARE THE HOURS OF OPERATION OF THE PLACE DES ARTS BOX OFFICE?
Monday to Friday: from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or until the start of the last performance of the day.
Saturday: from noon to 6 p.m. or until the start of the last performance of the day.
Telephone: 514 842-2112 or toll-free at 1 866 842-2112.
Monday to Saturday: from noon to 6 p.m. or until 30 minutes after the start of the last performance of the day.
Sundays and holidays: variable schedule according to scheduled performances.
Please allow a minimum of 45 minutes to pick up your tickets at the box office before a performance. To avoid any delays, please arrive early for your show.
- WHAT DO SERVICE CHARGES COVER?
Show tickets are subject to service charges, which are included in the ticket price. They cover box office operating costs, as well as the purchasing and maintenance of computer infrastructure. Service charges are set according to ticket prices, and are comparable to those of other box offices in Montréal.
- WHY ARE TICKETS FOR CERTAIN SHOWS SOLD OUT SO SOON AFTER THEY GO ON SALE?
On occasion, show producers may make tickets available for presale to certain groups. As a consequence, there are fewer tickets available when the show goes on sale to the general public. Technological advances (including websites and other sales outlets) are other factors that can result in rapid sell-outs. To take advantage of presales, subscribe to the Place des Arts newsletter by clicking here.
- WHY ARE THERE SOMETIMES BETTER TICKETS AVAILABLE AFTER I HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED MY PURCHASE?
When making a transaction on the Place des Arts website, clients may hold seats in their shopping cart without completing the transaction. A few minutes later, if the seats are released, they are once again made available for purchase. Show producers may also release a few additional seats that had been on hold for the artist or for technical needs. Top category seats may sometimes be available from ticket reseller sites; however, Place des Arts cautions the public that it cannot guarantee the validity of these tickets.
- WHEN A SHOW IS LISTED AS SOLD OUT, IS THERE SOME OTHER WAY TO GET TICKETS?
Place des Arts sometimes lists a show as “sold out,” which means there are no more tickets available. However, we encourage people to regularly visit our website or our social network feeds (Facebook and Twitter), as show producers can sometimes release additional tickets at the last minute.
- WHAT ABOUT TICKET RESELLERS?
Ticket resellers (scalpers) can sometimes get their hands on tickets, which they later resell. Place des Arts strongly advises against purchasing tickets from resellers, as we cannot guarantee the validity of the tickets. Place des Arts has introduced measures to counter this practice, for example, by limiting the maximum number of tickets sold to a particular person, email address or credit card number. We reserve the right to cancel without notice any transactions that exceed the limit. Despite our efforts, it is almost impossible to completely eliminate ticket resale networks, as resellers often manage to circumvent the systems put into place. Place des Arts remains the one official box office for all shows presented in our performance halls. We do not encourage the use of reseller sites in any way. We advise people to always check the URL of the transaction site to make sure it is indeed Place des Arts’ official transaction website.
PURCHASING TICKETS ONLINE AND MANAGING YOUR ACCOUNT
- WHAT IS A PLACE DES ARTS ACCOUNT?
The Place des Arts account is an extension to the box office available to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By logging in or creating an account, you will have access to a number of features as a ticket purchaser.
- HOW DO I LOG INTO MY ACCOUNT?
Click here to log in. You may log in using your account number or the email address associated with the account. If you have no email address associated with the account, you will be prompted to add an email address when you log in.
- HOW DO I CREATE AN ACCOUNT?
- WHAT SORT OF INFORMATION IS DISPLAYED ON MY ACCOUNT HOMEPAGE?
The main homepage displays up-to-date information about your account, such as your upcoming events and a number of other features.
- HOW CAN I UPDATE MY PROFILE?
Log into your Place des Arts account and select “edit my profile.” From there, you’ll be able to update your account information.
- HOW CAN I MANAGE MY EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS?
Log into your Place des Arts account and select “edit my profile.” From there, click on “manage my subscriptions.” There, you’ll be able to make changes to your email subscriptions.
- WHAT IS TICKET MANAGEMENT?
Your ticket management page allows you to view all of your upcoming events in a simplified calendar display.
- HOW DO I PRINT MY TICKETS?
- Click on "My tickets" in the upper right corner of our website
- Log into your Place des Arts account
- Select your event
- Click on the "Print" button in the upper right corner (not all events and seats are eligible to be printed)
- Select seats that you wish to print and click on "Continue"
- Make sure to read the message displayed about lost or stolen tickets
- Click on "Print"
- Click on "Done"
- Print the downloaded tickets that will open as a PDF file (all you need is Adobe Acrobat Reader - free)
The downloaded tickets will be required for entry to the event. You cannot use any tickets that may have been previously issued or printed. You may also wish to print additional items associated with the event, such as parking, as part of this process.
- HOW DO I DOWNLOAD MY E-TICKET ONTO MY SMARTPHONE?
- HOW MANY TIMES CAN I DOWNLOAD AND PRINT TICKETS FOR THE SAME SEATS?
You can download and print tickets only once.
- WHAT INFORMATION IS DISPLAYED IN TICKET HISTORY?
Ticket history is a rundown of all activity associated with a ticket.
- WHY ARE SOME TICKETS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PRINTING?
For various reasons which may include:
- The event has passed or it starts in less than two hours.
- Only tickets with a bar code can be printed.
- The tickets have not been paid for.
- Tickets are not available for printing because they don’t respect the conditions set by the organization.
- WHY DON’T I SEE MY TICKETS DOWNLOADING WHEN I CLICK ON “DOWNLOAD NOW”?
Please check your browser’s security settings to make sure you have enabled file downloads.
- HOW DOES THE E-TICKET WORK?
The e-ticket lets you print your tickets right away. A PDF file will be generated with your tickets, and you can print it right away or whenever you wish. All you need is Adobe Acrobat software (free). Your tickets will be scanned at the door and you will be granted access to your event.
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING E-TICKETS?
It’s convenient and free!
- The e-ticket allows you to get your tickets right away with no will-call lines or mail delivery to wait for.
- Print them at your convenience using any standard ink-jet or laser printer.
- DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL SOFTWARE TO USE THE E-TICKET?
For the printer: Any ink-jet or laser printer (colour or black and white) with a resolution of 300 dpi or more is able to print tickets. Use 8.5 x 11 plain white paper for best results. If you are unsure of your printer’s resolution/dpi, check the printer manual.
For the software: Download Adobe Acrobat. It’s free.
- WILL THIS TICKET BE ACCEPTED FOR THE EVENT?
Yes. The ticket that comes out of your printer is a valid, legitimate ticket. Make sure you keep it in a safe place like you would with cash.
- WHAT IF I PRINT MORE THAN ONE COPY OF MY TICKET OR A PHOTOCOPY IS MADE?
Only the first scan of the barcode on your ticket will be allowed entry. Make sure you keep your ticket in a safe place like you would with cash. If more than one copy were to be shown at entry, the barcode scanner will alert the attendant that the ticket has already been scanned. If there is a dispute, the purchaser’s name and the last four digits of the credit card used to make the purchase will be used as a reference.
- WHAT IF I CAN’T PRINT MY TICKETS?
If you are having trouble printing your tickets, here are some tips.
- Check to make sure you have Adobe Acrobat (free).
- Make sure your printer is on and the cables are connected to your computer or network.
- Make sure your printer has enough memory available. Try closing any unnecessary programs.
Still can’t print? Contact customer service at 514 842-2112 or toll-free at 1 866 842-2112.
- WHAT IF MY TICKETS ARE STOLEN?
Please contact customer service at 514 842-2112 or toll-free at 1 866 842-2112.
- CAN I CHOOSE MY SEATS FROM A SEATING PLAN?
Yes, when the seating plan is available, customers at Place des Arts can choose their seats from the venue’s seating plan when purchasing show tickets. You will need Adobe Flash software in order to see the seating plan.
- HOW DO I RETRIEVE MY PASSWORD?
- WHY DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD?
When you make your next ticket purchase, you will be guided through the steps needed to use your new customer account. The password change is part of the normal process of resetting your account.
- IS IT SAFE TO RECORD MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER IN MY CUSTOMER ACCOUNT?
All operations conducted on the Place des Arts transaction site are protected by a configuration that meets the highest security standards.
- I ALREADY HAVE A TICKETMASTER ACCOUNT. CAN I USE IT ON THE PLACE DES ARTS SITE?
No. The Place des Arts ticketing system is independent of all other systems. To purchase tickets on the Place des Arts site, you must create a Place des Arts customer account.
- DOES THE ADMISSION NETWORK SITE SELL TICKETS TO SHOWS PRESENTED AT PLACE DES ARTS?
No. All shows presented at Place des Arts are sold only on the placedesarts.com site.
- WHAT BROWSERS AND OPERATING SYSTEMS ARE SUPPORTED ON THIS SITE?
This site supports Internet Explorer 8, Safari, and Firefox 3.5 and above on the Windows XP operating system. You may experience functionality disruptions when using other browser/operating system combinations.
- WHAT ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE?
- Is it possible to bring a backpack during a show?
For security reason, only backpacks that can be place under a seat are accepted. Bags measuring larger than 45 cm X 35 cm X 20 cm (18 in X 13 in X 8 in) are forbidden.