Putting young Montrealers in touch with the performing arts. This is the philosophy behind Place des Arts’ School Program, which has been running for close to 10 years now in schools throughout the city. The program gives students and their teachers the opportunity to undergo a true creative experience alongside enthusiastic artist-mediators.
The School Program is inspired by an aesthetic education approach. This method aims to transform students’ views of the world around them.
The ultimate goal of the program is to foster academic success, the development of critical thinking, and the empowerment of young people.
Educational approach to projects
Workshops and a show give students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with a performing arts discipline.
- Workshops led by artist-mediators at school (or via webcast)
- Artistic performance at Place des Arts (or via webcast)
- Opportunity for students to take part in a public event at Place des Arts (subject to availability)
To prepare for the workshops, teachers are provided with several educational tools. The activities offered are designed to be easily integrated into the teaching of various academic subjects on the curriculum.
At the project’s conclusion, the students are in a position to understand the work an artist must accomplish before taking a performance to the stage.
Steps in each of the cultural mediation projects
- Training for participant teachers: teachers’ handbook, video interview, tutorial video, formation, assistance;
- Practical workshops led by Place des Arts’ team of artist-mediators;
- A performance in Théâtre Maisonneuve at Place des Arts, followed by a discussion;
- Opportunity for students to take part in a public event at Place des Arts.
Each project comes with the following educational tools:
- Aesthetic education training for participating teachers (limited space available)
- Study guide (content, activities, links to the school curriculum, additional resources)
- Video interview with an artist
- Tutorial video
- Si j'avais un tech: web series on stagecraft
- Registrations begin in September.
- Space is limited, register as soon as possible: placedesartseducation.com
- Contact us to get on our mailing list: email@example.com
Financial Support for Schools
Schools in Montreal and surrounding areas registered for Place des Arts’ cultural mediation projects may benefit from government support for school cultural outings.