Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Place des Arts can now host concerts and public events with 250 people or fewer. Learn more

History

Place des Arts was born of the desire of Montrealers to endow themselves with a concert hall that lived up to the city’s expectations. In 1955, at the initiative of Montréal’s mayor, Jean Drapeau, a group of influential businessmen laid the foundation for the project. The Centre Sir-George-Étienne-Cartier Corporation was officially created in 1958, and it was through this entity that the project was taken to completion. Construction began on February 11, 1961.

Go to top