Arts education is a powerful tool toward scholarly and social success. Many studies have amply documented the way the arts can reduce inequalities, strengthen young people’s confidence in their abilities and skills, reduce the school drop-out rate and improve job perspectives.
Place des Arts offers cultural mediation projects every year to high school students and their teachers. The Educational Program introduces young people to the performing arts while giving them the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills that are essential to their scholarly and social success, and allowing them to truly engage with the arts. For many, this contact with the performing arts is their first one.
Each of the projects we carry out aims to put young people in contact with a discipline, an artist or a work, and give young people the chance to express themselves. From the classroom to Place des Arts, critical thinking and creativity are encouraged in students, placing them at the core of the learning process.
Each project is headed up by an artist and proceeds as follows:
- Workshops given at school and at Place des Arts;
- Artist performance at Place des Arts followed by a meeting with the artist;
- Artistic event by and for the youth participants, presented in the Espace culturel Georges-Émile-Lapalme at the end of the project;
- Annual exhibition illustrating one of the cultural mediation projects from that year;
- Tools made available to teachers: teachers’ handbook, video interviews, training, tutorials, assistance.
- Training for participant teachers
- Teachers’ handbook
- Video Interview with the main artist of the project
- Tutorial video link to the contents of the project
- Assistance from the Place des Arts team
Here are the cultural mediation projects for the 2018-2019 year:
FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR SCHOOLS
Schools taking part in the cultural mediation projects can enjoy a variety of support measures provided by the government for school cultural field trips. Visit our section on the subject to learn more about these resources and find out if your school qualifies for the program.
TEACHER TRAINING DAYS
If you are a teacher and you’re taking part in one of our cultural mediation projects with your students, come to one of our free training days to learn about content related to the cultural mediation projects and pick up tools to introduce it in class with your students. You won’t want to miss it!
THE FONDATION DE LA PLACE DES ARTS,
MAJOR PARTNER OF THE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM
The Fondation’s philanthropic efforts are founded on the conviction that arts and culture enrich the relationship that young people have with life and open them up to new languages that lead to new ways of addressing their own worlds and developing their own personalities. Learn how you can support the Fondation in its mission!
To get more informations, please contact Myriam Lalumière, Adjointe à la coordination, programmation et accessibilité culturelle.