Workshops and Cultural Outing
Putting young Montrealers in touch with the performing arts. This is the philosophy behind Place des Arts’ School Program, which has been running for close to 10 years now in schools throughout the city. The program gives students and their teachers the opportunity to undergo a true creative experience alongside enthusiastic artist-mediators.
The School Program is inspired by an aesthetic education approach. This method aims to transform students’ views of the world around them. The ultimate goal of the program is to foster academic success, the development of critical thinking, and the empowerment of young people.
Educational approach to projects
The ultimate goals of the program are to foster young people’s academic success, develop their critical sensibilities, and provide a sense of empowerment.
- A pedagogical kit for participant teachers
- Two workshops with an artist-mediator present at the school
- A performance in Théâtre Maisonneuve at Place des Arts, followed by a discussion
To prepare for the workshops, teachers are provided with several educational tools. The activities offered are designed to be easily integrated into the teaching of various academic subjects on the curriculum. At the project’s conclusion, the students are in a position to understand the work an artist must accomplish before taking a performance to the stage.
Each project comes with the following educational tools:
- Study guide (content, activities, links to the school curriculum, additional resources)
- Teacher’s training (éducation esthétique: November 18 and 19, 2022 at the Place des Arts) - optional.
- Video interview with an artist
- Tutorial video
- Si j'avais un tech: web series on stagecraft
Cost per project: $12 per person (students and teachers)
Financial Support for Schools
Schools in Montreal and surrounding areas registered for Place des Arts’ cultural mediation projects may benefit from government support for school cultural outings.